Thursday, March 19, 2009

Independent 4 year old

Kate informed me the other day that "I don't need you anymore mom". I knew this would come some day, but I didn't think it would come at 4 years old. she has become quite independent and can do so many things on her own including getting dressed, getting in her pjs, getting out of the car, and has recently learned how to swing on a swing without having to be pushed. This was the moment she realized she did not need me. She is a pretty good helper and big sister. I worry sometimes that I am too hard on her or expect too much of her because she is the oldest child and can do so much more.
She is still a baby in a lot of ways and often cries at the drop of a hat. Maybe that just comes with the territory of being female because I know a lot of adult women including myself who have days like that. To all my friends out there who are expecting their third boy, do you see all the dramatics you are missing?

I am trying to enjoy her every day. I love seeing her gifts and talents and I have a lot of hopes for her future. I am amazed by her artistic abilities and intellect and I know she is much more gifted and talented than I am which makes it quite humbling to be in the position of being her mother. I never quite feel qualified for the job.

Lately she has been saying "In a minute it is going to be so hot we are going to have to run through the spinklers" Every night before bed we have to remind her what day it is today and what day it is going to be tomorrow. If we don't she will get out of bed 10 minutes later to come ask "what day is it going to be tomorrow?" She is working hard to understand the concept of time. She is remembering longer periods of time and gets excited when she can remember what we did earlier that week etc. I think it is kind of fun and interesting to watch and be a part of their development.

No comments: