Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

This weekend we traveled to my grandparents cabin North of Bear Lake to help with some improvement projects. My uncle re-graded and expanded the drive way, several of the grandsons or grandsons-in-law worked to repaint the entire outside and finish two of the bedrooms upstairs and the women prepared meals, watched children and attempted to clean and organize the inside of the cabin. I felt very unproductive because I was not feeling well and extremely tired. Some days being pregnant is kind of a drag. It was so dry up there I felt like all the moisture in my body was getting sucked away. My eyes and sinuses were so dried out. I couldn't breath and my sinus felt like they were on fire from being so dry and all the dust and allergens in the air. I was also unproductive because the cabin is not so baby proof and I wanted to make sure Beck didn't get hurt or sick. So you don't think I am parinoid or psycho, let me explain. The cabin is situated in cow country and has always had a mice problem. the first day we were there Beck was picking up rocks and sticks and dried up cow pies! I was a nervous wreck with him constantly trying to dig in the dirt like boys like to do thinking "ahhh please don't get hauta virus". The cabin is at least 35 years old and Beck almost got burned on the ancient stove like 3 different times. The carpet was the original from since I was a small child and I definitely didn't want him crawling up and down the stairs, or touching any of the original furiture either especially with the mouse droppings inside the chest of drawers in our bedroom which Beck kept trying to pull open. Candi if you are not grossed out yet here is one more thing. My sister stepped on a baby mouse as she was walking through the cabin. so carrying Beck up and down the stairs all day long and chasing him around and washing his hands constantly it was all very exhausting to me and taking up most of my time. My sister Kristy was smart not to take her twins almost 2yrs. and her 5 month old. Then there was the sharing of one bathroom with probably close to 30 people. I could mention a few other things that made it hard for me to relax and enjoy the cabin, but I think you've heard enough. The men got a lot of work done on the cabin and with continued efforts I might be able to go and relax a little more than I did this weekend. Eli was quite busy all of Saturday and Beck snatched the small opportunity he saw to spend some time with daddy.

The one thing that was relaxing was playing with the kids at the Lake. I love Bear Lake it is such a beatiful lake and the North Shore is a nice beach area with not a lot of grasses and such.
Beck didn't like playing in the lake at first and he definitely didn't like the feel of any of the sea weed type plants and algae. He did get use to is and had fun splashing around and digging in the sand with the shovel. Kate loved floating on the raft and making sand castles.



































The one other thing that was good about the cabin was the food most of it fried, fatty, salty carbs and meat. Not to mention the smores and Bear Lake raspberry shake. What more could a pregnant girl want? No wonder I pack on the pounds during pregnancy.

2 comments:

The Lutz Family said...

Yuck, that is when a tent sounds like heaven to me. Candi

The Carters said...

Sorry I didn't get to see you up there. You and the kids should have come and hung out with Breanne, Shannon, Macy and I. I do feel bad that we didn't help at the cabin at all, but I think I would have freaked if I had seen the mouse...eek! Anyways, if you and Eli ever need a break, please give us a call! Brett and I would love to come up and babysit for you!