Saturday, November 15, 2008

Beck's Bad Luck

Beck has had a rough week. Poor guy was up all night Thursday night throwing up. I know throw up smells bad, but I could not believe how bad it was and I am guessing it must be the pregancy enhancing the smell like 10X. I still think I am smelling throw up on occasion because I have the memory of it. Well, Friday I decided to make a special dinner which was going to take several hours and I had Beck sitting on a stool at the counter watching and eating snacks when I suddenly saw him slip out of view. I ran around to get him as quickly as possible and he screamed and screamed and screamed and fell asleep, woke up and screamed some more. I was pretty sure after about 10 minutes that he had broken something. He was so upset he could not even tell me or indicate what hurt. Finally he started protecting his leg by putting his hand in the air above his shin as I was moving my hands over his body trying to figure out where he was hurt. There was no bruising or noticable swelling. I tried to see if he could stand and he refused. As soon as I got all the food out of the oven and off the stove and the kids ready, daddy came home and we headed to the ER. After a couple hours they X-rayed the area and then after like another hour of two the Dr. came back and told us he had a compression fracture on both the Tibia and Fibula. Then about another 1/2 hour to hour later they came and splinted it. What a horrible way to spend a Friday night. We have to go back next week for a real cast. He has a splint from his toes to the mid thigh and will have to have the cast the same way for about 6 weeks. If he wasn't so young they would have given him crutches to use since he cannot walk or put any weight on the leg at all. He fell asleep in the car on the way home and amazingly slept all the way through the night. He was pretty mad when he woke up with the splint this morning. He was taking his rage out on the splint by hitting the splint saying "leg broke". Then when the medicine would start to wear off he would whine, "leg hurts". He keeps forgetting that he can't use that leg and he will try to slide off the couch and then realize he can't stand up and walk away like normal, so he just has to cry for me to come and get him. He can't really manuver very well yet, but he is starting to roll around on the groung or scootch on his bum to play with toys. He actually did pretty well in the bath even though it was only like 2 inches of water. He played with his toys and didn't want to get out.
It is going to be an interesting 6 weeks trying to keep him entertained. Hopefully he won't have any more bad luck.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Beck!!! He needs lots of kisses.

valerie said...

Elizabeth broke her tibia and her fibia at 15 months old. I won't lie...it was a long 6 weeks. But it is amazing how resilient kids are. She found ways to get around despite her handicap.

Catherine said...

Asia, how are you going to get him around? You're not supposed to carry him, are you?

Unknown said...

Whats up with our kids breaking bones? I think Emma was the only one in our family who actually broke a bone, and that's pretty good considering there were 8 of us! Brooke broke her arm, Erik his leg and now Beck! So crazy but he does look super cute!! Miss you like crazy!

Asia said...

Beck gets his real cast tomorrow. He is doing pretty well getting around by crawling. Today he even tried to crawl up the stairs. I haven't had to carry him around too much and luckily he is just 22lbs.

Jennifer Gerritsen said...

Oh Asia how fun! It's something that I have been waiting for Alex to do but luckily he hasn't. He jumps from everything so I am surprised he hasn't. Such fun with kids! We never get a break even though they do!

eliboy said...

He's handi-capable....