Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween

I know that it is only the first of November, but I have already come up with a new year's resolution for myself for next year. I tend to over plan and over complicate things especially holidays and that is how this halloween was for me. Way more work than necessary. I added way more stress than I really needed to and it takes away from the enjoyment of holidays and family vacations. I don't think I have the energy anymore to drag my kids to so many different relatives homes, so everyone can see them in their costumes and especially not when I have three kids. I have tried to visit my grandmas and have my family meet me there, but every year I end up having to leave as they are arriving so I can make it to my in-laws where my kids usually trick-or-treat with cousins. I love visiting my grandma, but I will just have to find other times to visit with her when things are so hectic and rushed. Here is Beck and my grandma. It was a challenge to get my kids to keep their costumes on especially Beck's spider hat.
Eli made Kate's costume it is a Japanese cartoon monster (perhaps you've seen it around Target or on line) the name is Domo Coon (I know I spelled it wrong since I spelled it phonetically and didn't bother researching the actually spelling). He also adjusted Beck's costume to give him longer spider legs and to make the legs move with his arms. I think they turned out pretty cute. Kate was originally going to be princess Belle, but then her cousin told her she needed to be something scarry so she picked Domo Coon (she had seen it as daddy's picture for his instant messager). she decided after having to walk around in the Domo Coon costume all night and falling over several times that next year she would rather be princess Belle.

Beck was very excited about all the candy and he couldn't even wait until we got back to Nana & Papa before he had to eat some. He has such a sweet tooth and loves treats and "Nandy". Everytime he sees his halloween bucket around the house he starts yelling "Nandy". He is pretty persistent when he wants something. It is much harder to say no to him than it is to Kate.

He is getting to be a pretty good talker and he is now talking in little sentences. One of the first sentences he learned was "Kate did it" and of course if we ask who wants a treat? or something like that they we hear Beck yell "I do". He is obsessed with cars and he knows which ones are "little cars" he also knows the names of many colors even though he doesn't always match up the correct name and color. I was surprised by that because I have not even attempted to teach him any colors yet. One time I was tickling and nibbling on him and he stuck his foot in my face and said "bite it". I am just amazed he is talking so much at 20 months old especially since he is a boy and they are usually a little slower with their speech. He is also becoming quite the singer and he walks around the house all day singing incomprehensible songs to himself. He even tries to sing along to songs in the car. Well, I am getting off the halloween topic, but it seems like I never have enough time to blog about all the things I want or need to blog about.

My youngest brother-in-law who will be 16 next month and some of my nephews decided to do a haunted house in the back yard. I think they all really enjoyed it even in the rain and wind. Halloween was exhausting for me, but I think the kids had fun and that is the most important thing. Next year I am going to relax and simplify things. I think I will have to with the addition of a third child (only seven months old by next halloween). I did go shopping the day after Halloween and I noticed that the stores and radio stations are already playing christmas music. I also noticed the stores didn't even have the school supplies put away and all the halloween stuff up before they started putting up a few Christmas things. I guess the retail industry doesn't want to even give you a break to breathe after halloween before they start stressing you out with the worry of being ready for Christmas.


No comments: