Thursday, May 1, 2008

Front Runner

I thought I would write a little bit about the experience we had riding front runner. Our first attempt was opening day-Saturday. However, after waiting about 1/2 an hour and then realizing we were going to have to wait another hour or so, we decided we would try again another day. On Tuesday afternoon I decided to try a short ride with me and the kids just to the Roy station since Dani is so close. As soon as we got on the train I started to think that it probably wasn't such a good idea. It was standing room only and I had to hold my Beck who is about 20 lbs and then try to make sure Kate was holding on tight enough so she wouldn't get flung down the isle when the train lurched as it occasionally does. After about 5 minutes of misery an older gentleman finally noticed me and decided to give up his seat. I was really thankful considering there was some medical emergency on the south bound train at the Roy station, so we had to wait for 10-15 minutes before we could even leave. With so many people packed on to the train, the AC wasn't really working. I don't really enjoy being in hot crowded places with the general public including several homeless men. We finally made it to Roy and Kate had a fun time playing with her cousins. Eli rode the train to Roy and kids sure enjoyed yelling to him from the deck as he walked from the train station. We rode back together to the Clearfield station. The ride back was much better since we actually got seats we didn't have to fight for. Beck kept waving to all the people he could through the windows as the train was about to depart. The train kept honking its horn to let everyone know it was planning on departing and not to cross the tracks. As we were standing there waiting for the train to leave so we could cross over to the parking lot a few people crossed in front of the train and the train blared its horn very loudly at them. They in turn shouted a few obsenities including the f-bomb and made crude gestures. The train finally left and they were complaining about how the train saw them coming and they couldn't believe it left without them. I guess that is why I try to avoid too much association with the general public. Oh well, at least Kate had a chance to ride the train. I think she enjoyed it.

No comments: