Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Zucchini Bread & Zucchini Cookies

The only thing I really got out of my garden this year was the zucchini and a very few tomatoes. I was getting sick of eating cooked zucchini and decided to make some zucchini bread. I thought it has been a while since I have posted a recipe so here goes.
This is a Betty Crocker recipe with a few adjustments I liked from another recipe.
The original recipe called for 2 2/3 C. white Sugar which I changed to 1 C brown sugar and 1 2/3 C. white sugar. The original recipe also called for 2/3 Cup shortening and I changed that to 1/3 C. butter and 1/3 cup shortening (next time I might try it with all butter). I also added an additional tsp of vanilla.

Zucchini Bread
Heat oven to 350. Grease loaf pans.
Mix: 1 2/3 C white sugar, 1 C brown sugar, 1/3 C shortening and 1/3 C butter.
Stir in: 3 C shredded zucchini, 2/3 C water, 4 eggs.
Mix in: 3 1/3 C flour, 2 tsp baking soda. 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cloves, 3 tsp vanilla & 1/2 tsp baking powder.
Optional: stir in 2/3 C nuts or rasins if desired. Bake 60-70 minutes.
Pumpkin Bread adujustment: substitute 16 oz. of pumpkin for the zucchini and omit the vanilla and bake 70 min.

This bread was a very nice consistency smooth and soft as well as tasty.

Another zucchini bread recipe I enjoy is called Zion Zucchini Bread and I am not sure where it comes from, but it is made with chocolate chips. My husband prefers the first recipe with the smoother consistency, but if you love sweets and chocolate this might be a good one to try.

Zion Zucchini Bread
Blend together: 1 C sugar
3 eggs
3 t vanilla
1 C brown sugar
1 C oil
2 C grated zucchini
Add 1/2 cup nuts or chocolate chips
Stir together: 3 C flour, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tst baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 3 tsp cinnamon.
grease & four pans. Bake at 325 until toothpick comes out clean.

This bread was also good, but with the chocolate chips it was a little denser and I liked that it had a kind of crusty outside and soft on inside.

Here is one last Zucchni recipe from a neighbor. I haven't tried this one but I have tried a lot of things she makes and I have never been disappointed. I wish I could try this one out too, but with the snow ending the growing season a little prematurely I will have to wait until next year.

Zucchini Cookies:
Beat Together:
2 cups sugar
1 cup Crisco
2 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp allspice or cloves
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

Add:
2 cups shredded zucchini- (beat in)
4 cups flour
Optional-1 cup butterscotch or chocolate chips (mixed in batter) or frost with chocolate frosting after baking. Scoop onto baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. Cool before frosting.

Enjoy!

No comments: