Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

• "Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother rather than all major credit cards." -- Robert Orben

• "I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection." -- Sigmund Freud

I thought these words by Elder Richard L. Evans (1906–71) were perfect for describing what our fathers mean to us “First of all, fathers are giving a name and a heritage to their children—clean and honorable. Fathers are for long, hard work, mostly their own kind of work; … for trying to give their children things [their] fathers never had. Fathers are for talking with, for encouraging, for putting arms around; for understanding mistakes, but not condoning them; for disciplining when needed, then loving all the more; for being strong and forceful, and for being tender and gentle.”

I want to wish my dad Happy Father's Day! I appreciate all he did for me growing up and all he does for me now that I have my own family. I have a lot of admiration for my dad and all that he put up with raising four children. I know for myself I didn't always show him the respect or appreciation he deserved. I appreciate you dad for working so hard to provide for us, supporting all of our activities, teaching us values like hard work and honesty, taking time to play with us, and being protective and concerned through the teen years whiched helped me make good choices. You were always so encouraging of our goals and I know much of my success is because you believed in me and were proud of my accomplishments. Thanks Dad!
I also want to wish Eli's Dad Happy Father's Day as well. Eli was telling me the other day how grateful he was for little things like picking up all the kids (Eli's parents have eight) after school and taking them swimming. He also has fond memories as a young boy going with his mom to pick up his dad from college and how he loved to wear his Weber State T-shirt they had got for him. He also appreciated how they would have to drive two cars to fit all the kids and supplies for the camping trips they would take. It has taken Eli several years and taking his own small family camping to realize what an inconvenience it probably was and to be able to appreciate what really went into the "little things" he remembers as a child.

I can't forget to thank Eli for being such a great dad to Kate and Beck. They really love their dad and are so excited when he comes home from work each day. In Kate's own words one day when I asked her if she loved her mom her reply was, "yeah, but specially I love my daddy". This past Christmas Eli took about a week off work to spend more time with the family and Kate enjoyed every minute of it. The day he went back to work I found her sitting in the corner holding his hat. I told her she needed to come and have a snack or something and she informed me that she needed to hold daddy's hat so she could give it to him when he got home. Last night was the funniest because Kate asked daddy "how come you are so furry?" and then a few minutes later she informed Eli that he is old. He of course had to point out that momma is older. I am grateful to have such a wonderful dad for my children. He is so helpful with bath time, bed time, and even cooks on weekends. Many of you know how well he cooks and his sister even gave him the nickname "gabby gourmet", so it actually is quite a treat when daddy cooks. I especially appreciate the times he is willing to take the kids on his own so I can get some much needed personal time for exercise, scrapbooking and such.













I found this great talk, The Father Who Cares by President James E. Faust, which has some great insights on how we can support men in their role as fathers.


"In order to strengthen the father in the home, I make two simple suggestions: first, sustain and respect the father in his position; second, give him love, understanding, and some appreciation for his efforts.
Let every mother understand that if she does anything to diminish her children’s father or the father’s image in the eyes of the children, it may injure and do irreparable damage to the self-worth and personal security of the children themselves. How infinitely more productive and satisfying it is for a woman to build up her husband rather than tear him down.
In terms of giving fathers love and understanding, it should be remembered that fathers also have times of insecurity and doubt. Everyone knows fathers make mistakes—especially they themselves. Fathers need all the help they can get; mostly they need love, support, and understanding from their own. As fathers we need to set priorities to guide us in allocating our time. Some men forget that their “first priority should be to maintain their own spiritual and physical strength. Then comes their family, then the Church, and then their professions—"


President Faust concluded his talk in this beautiful way which I would like to echo.
"God bless you fathers to be equal to your overwhelming responsibilities and to have a father’s special caring for each one under your protective arms. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

No comments: