Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Blessed Life!

Lately I have been thinking about what a blessed life I have. I was thinking about my younger years and looking forward to my life ahead and I never imagined it would be this good. There are definitely things I could change like managing my time better, being in better shape etc. However, I have two children I adore and a husband who works very hard to provide for his family (especially lately since he has had to work late every night and even pulled an all nighter). I am so proud of him and I love learning more and more each day how talented and bright he is.

I think part of what sparked these thoughts was the lessons in church. This past Sunday we discussed the trials of the people of Ammon or Anti-Nephi-Lehi's. They would rather die than forsake their covenants. They were persecuted greatly because of their belief and devotion to Christ, but they were preserved by the power of God. In Relief Society we discussed hope and consolation during death. I was humbled to hear that the Prophet Joseph Smith endured the deaths of two brothers at age 25, one brother as a infant, six of his eleven children, his father and eventually suffered death by martyrdom at the young age of 38 with his brother Hyrum. I also thought of Lucy Mack Smith and Emma Smith who endured great loss and hardship. How blessed we are to know that this life is not the end and that our families will be together forever when we follow Heavenly Father's plan.

Today is also Pioneer Day and I am so grateful for the pioneers who helped this desert blossom as a rose so that I could live in peace and safety in a place free of religous persecution. What a beatiful place we live in and I am so grateful for the legacy of faith they left behind. I am also grateful for modern day pioneers who are willing to endure any hardship because of their devotion and faith in Christ.

Another reason I have been reminded of my blessings was in reaquainting with some high school friends and sharing blog address I learned of some of Shannon's experiences with children in Haiti. I don't know how widespread these problems are since I have never been there myself but some of the children were (hopefully aren't currently) living in a ditch suffering from Malaria and hunger and not being able to have access to education without the charity she set up to help provide them with education. For some of them it seemed like this was the only positive thing going in their lives.
These experiences were all very humbling to me and made me realize how blessed we are. We take so much for granted like have a safe place to live or having plenty of nutritious food to eat only 10 feet away or being free from illness and so on. I am so blessed to have the gospel, a family that I love tremendously, a place to live where I feel safe and comfortable, good health care and medicines, and friends and neighbors who accept me how I am and inspire me to be better. I honor our pioneer heritage and I realize that they are part of what allows me to enjoy such a blessed life.
I am also very grateful for friends and neighbors who are struggling with great trials and are willing to submit to all that the Lord has in store for them as he refines us or purifies us and prepare us to be like Him. As the Lord said in D & C 136 31 "My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to recieve the glory that I have in store for them. . . and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom." They are great examples to me and I hope when my it is my turn to deal with hardships I will be as strong and devoted as they have been and prove myself worthy for His kingdom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony it always lifts me up...Dani

suz said...

I haven't seen that family photo of you guys- I love it! Asia you are a pioneer in your own family and a good example to all of us.