Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cherish every moment





This weekend we celebrated Eli's grandparents 60th wedding anniversary with a big family party. We were in charge of making a carrot cake for the celebration and Kate was very excited to help me. She kept saying over and over "I'm a good maker momma".



She loved wearing my apron, cracking eggs, pouring ingredients and especially licking the beaters. It turned out pretty well, but I have to give the credit to my grandma Anna Hart since it is her recipe.



A lot of the family wanted to have the recipe for the carrot cake so here it is.....

2 cups flour 2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups grated carrots
1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 cup nuts (optional)
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

Frosting:
1 pkg cream cheese
1 cube butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 t vanilla

I did two batches of cake and two batches of frosting for this triple layer cake.
It is delicious and a very simple recipe that is hard to mess up. Enjoy!


I forgot to bring my camera to the party, but here are some pictures of Eli's grandparents when they visited us when Beck was born. They use to live in ST. George and recently moved to South Ogden. It is nice having them so much closer. We are grateful for their love and support. What an accomplishment to be married for 60 years. Eli kept joking that we are only a 10th of the way there. Since I didn't get married until I was 27 I will be 87 years old at my 60th anniversary if I am still around for it. It was nice visiting with Eli's aunts, uncles, and cousins that we don't see very often. He has a great family and it all started with these two people or as the quote goes "all because two people fell in love".
His grandparents mentioned that it went by so fast and I can believe that since time seems to pick up faster and faster each year. I was just mentioning the other day that it seems like yesterday was memorial day and now it is already the middle of July. I visited with my dad the other day and he was saying that he feels a bit meloncholy because his children grew up so fast and he misses having his children young and always around. It made me appreciate the fact that I get to stay home with my children and try to make the most of every moment. How sad it would be to lose those precious moments with my children while they are small with me working and them in day care. You only get one chance to enjoy them while they are young and I am so glad I won't have any regrets about not spending enough time with them because of other obligations. I hope I never forget how time flies and that I will always try to cherish every moment.

3 comments:

The Lutz Family said...

Actually Grandpa was 18 (almost 19)and Grandma was 19(almost 20). Their birthdays are in October and they will be 79 and 80 this year. The cake was so very good, thanks for sharing.

Asia said...

Thanks for clarifying it, I will take that part out. Eli says my blogs are way too long anyway. asia

Unknown said...

I like the long posts....but I post long ones too...As for the new blog template it is super easy just go to: www.cutestblogontheblock.com
on the left hand side it has free backgrounds...that is where I got mine and it gives step by step directions. Hope that helps! Brookie misses Kate too she keeps talking about her and asking if she can come play at our house.